Saturday, July 20, 2013

Imagining Argentina

This was a magical, colorful book ostensibly about Argentinians' struggle against their oppressive government in the 1970s, but also about the power of the imagination, a story on story.



"A sympathetic vibration between the strings annihilates distance so that the future and the past rush into the present." 34  Relates to this continuity and cyclical nature of time I've been pondering a lot lately.

"I walk because I love the place, because it is always the same and always different." 67  Songlines, dreamtime--walking creating a place, walking creating you, everything creating each other

"Standing there, I had the distinct impression of people hiding within themselves, and I realized that my sense of the city's accessibility was false.  I had seen its gestures, heard its voices, but it kept much to itself and I did not want to know that part, the way you would rather not hear about a lover's past." 69  Maybe this is more true of places you are not native to? Or maybe the inaccessibility, at some level, of any one thing to another.  Or the illusion of separation between things, and people's wish to propagate it.

"He was not going anywhere in particular; rather, he was searching for something he could not even name, so the condition of his mind was necessarily different from ours--attuned to indistinct possibilities." 72  How I feel so often.

"It's not often that you see life and fiction take each other by the hand and dance." 206  ...or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment