Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Can You Camus?

About a month ago, I borrowed Camus' L'Etranger (The Stranger, en francais) from my friend's bookshelf.

Hadn't read anything of substance in French since my high school stint with Lord of the Rings (finally a method to make it last longer than a week)--but it was funny how fast it all came back.  

And funny how what I am mainly left with when reading in a different language is a much more...well... impressionistic impression.  While LOTR was full of darkness--obscurite, ombres, nuages, etc--L'Etranger was just the opposite--full of blinding light, blinding sun, blinding heat, all of which sharply offset the dark, tragic events--a heady contrast like a photo through too strong a filter, distorting reality.  I felt like I had to squint while I was reading, like I was an aveugle myself--but maybe that's Camus' point--that there is no way to see an un-distorted truth.

At least, that's the best I could understand it.  Maybe someday I'll read it en anglais and test out my hypothesis.


No comments:

Post a Comment